Saturday 20 December 2008

Six Random Facts about lil' ol' me.

Monika tagged me for the Six Random Facts meme. If you've never heard of a meme, you can learn what they are here. This blog normally focuses on nature and my puny attempts at photography. However, as I've become more engrossed in the blogging community, I always enjoy getting a glimpse of the person behind the blog, especially when from their content I can tell we have a lot in common. It lets you learn a little about the storyteller, instead of just always listening to the story. So, here we go....(if you recognise this Monika - thanks, I couldn't have put it better myself...so I plagiarised your blurb...copy and paste is such a wonderful concept!!)


Here are the rules to the Six Random Facts Meme:
1) Link to the person who tagged you.
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Write six random things about yourself.
4) Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5) Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up.


So what are these weird and wonderful random facts?


1 - I have a deep, some might say unnatural, love of football (soccer). But I haven't been to see Blackpool this season as our beloved chairman has put the price of a match ticket up too much and so I'm protesting and skint.


Obviously I was at the winning day at the New Wembley Stadium when we beat Yeovil Town to gain promotion to the Championship....what a great day!!!!!

2 - Monika's blue hair (in her six random facts blog) inspired me to tell you about my horse riding escapades. There are none - me and horses do not mix I'm terrified of the beasts they are huge, bite and kick, and make huge amounts of mess which take ages to muck out. And another thing how do you do the up and down thing when trotting if you have no natural rhythm. But I used to help out at my local Riding for the Disabled club and there is a photo but believe me - no-one is ever going to see it. No amount of 'oh go on' ing is going to get me to change my mind and publish it on the web; and no my hair was not blue!
3 - I have a couple of regrets in life.....1) I refused to see The Police at the height of their early success and popularity because tickets were 75p, not the usual 50p to watch a gig. I saw plenty of other bands...some famous (Annie Lennox and The Tourists)...some past their best (Nazareth)...some bad (Haircut 100)...and Hi Tension - a brilliant Jazz Funk combo that no-one else seems to have ever heard of.
2) I used to get home so late I met the bird ringers (banders) going out. How I wish now I'd given my bed a miss and gone with them to learn this fascinating skill.
4 - I'm not the world's luckiest international traveller. ...my first trip abroad my plane to Israel was delayed and I got to Tel Aviv too late to get my connection to Haifa. So I had to spend over half my money for the four month trip on a taxi. When I got to Haifa everywhere was closed and I spent my first ever night out of the UK sleeping in a bus stop.
My first trip to Australia was blighted by the idiot known as Bin Bag Laden - I was supposed to fly out of the UK on the day after his dough brained chums hit the two towers. No chance..and I'm telling you if I'd have missed out on that trip I'd have personally hunted him down and burnt his bushy beard off with a blow torch...as it is he owes me a weeks holiday in Aus as compensation...don't suppose I'll ever get it and I hope this outburst hasn't got me a Fatwah.
5 - I really like Brussels Sprouts...really.
Indeed I like almost all food...i rarely eat anything else?!?!
6 - I can pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch the longest place name in the UK and one of the longest in the world (58 letters in English only 51 in Welsh) but why would I want to.
7 - Never was one for rules!
My favourite unwritten book is 'A Field Guide to British Bus Shelters' by A Saunders. An idea conceived on a trip to see the Ladies Slipper Orchids in ??????? (top secret...and a bit of trespassing involved). Al was not a naturalist!
Passing this meme on my six tags are....tbc and a picture or two to be added later....No; not the Riding for the Disabled one.

2 comments:

Monika said...

Thanks for playing along with the meme - it really is interesting to learn a bit more about bloggers themselves.

I love the football game picture - it reminds me of what I look like at hockey games.

That's admirable that you helped out at riding for the disabled, especially if you were wary of horses. I won't even ask to see the picture...

What kind of a place is it that has a name that long?! I had no idea. A good bit of trivia and a talent for you to pull out at a cocktail party.

Great stuff, I enjoyed it!

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Thanks Monika - sadly (or fortunately) the old photo album with both the orchid pic and the RftD pic in seems to be lost. Copy the name or google Lanfair PG and Wikipedia will do the rest AND give you the phonetics....start practicing.

Dave