Thursday 18 December 2008

Short but sweet

This morning's safari was about the shortest ever, fortunately we got back to the Land Rover before the heavens opened.
There was little around but this sulphury yellow fungus was spotted growing on a rotting Willow stump. I've no idea what species it is but the top picture taken from above is a more accurate colour, in the other pics the flash has made the fungus look more golden than it was in life.



These apples haven't been eaten yet and will be an important source of food if the weather turns cold again. The reason they are still on the tree is because trunk is surrounded by dense Brambles keeping them safe from human pilferers.
The Gulls on the mere were twitchy; a Cormorant fishing underwater kept coming up for breath in between them giving them the heeby-jeebies. All the usual gull suspects were there, again Black Headed and Herring were the most numerous followed by Commons. There was just one of both Lesser and Greater Black Backs.
Where to next? Christmas shopping is now getting urgent - only a week left but there may be a chance of a new and much fancier Land Rover, so the next safari might be a long time coming but travelling in a little more style and comfort.
In the meantime let us know what you have found in your outback.
Monika at Orca Watcher (see blog links on right) has challenged me to come up with 6 random facts about myself...hmmmm - thinking cap is on...random facts tomorrow.



3 comments:

Monika said...

I appreciate the fungi photos, as it feeds my new found fascination....I started looking at mushrooms myself under similar conditions, when there's not much else to see and you start to look down and into new worlds.

I look forward to to the six facts!

Anonymous said...

your fungus is honeyfungus - armillaria mellea

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Thanks Jack. all I can say is "Damn - I shoulda known that one!"