Thursday 30 July 2009

Big bad blue tits?

A while ago the safari promised you some interesting bird behaviour. Well it has happened; I’ve got it on camera at long last. Had to wait until the nice person responsible refilled the feeder in question and then remember to take the camera. A bit tricky bit of photography as the feeder is under the trees, the morning light was dull, the birds are shy and have many ‘lookouts’ and you can’t really get close so the pics aren’t top quality but you’ll get the gist. Might try driving the Land Rover up close and using it as a hide to see if I can get closer. Nearly as tricky as a big bird trying to get its beak through a small hole on a wobbly feeder.

"Aim...leap...flap...hope"
"Ooooohhhh....got it...I've got a toe hold...I'm in!!!!" you can almost hear Johnny Morris doing the voices...showin my age now!
"Got it!"
"Where's the best bits?"
"YUM!"
Don’t know about you but this is the first I’ve come across Magpies acting like Blue Tits at feeders and I've seen alot of feeders and a lot off Magpies. Wonder if they'll be able to pass their new found skill on like Blue Tits did when they learned how to peck the tops of milk bottles left on the doorsteps...showing my age again!
They are getting pretty adept at it now. I’m sure the person filling the feeder was hoping for the smaller, prettier, birds to be attracted but this small copse of trees is called Magpie Wood (only by me) for good reason – at least 30 roost here every night, double that or more in winter. The chances of smaller birds getting a look in at the free food are slim to remote!
The Bumble Bees were just becoming active and still drowsy. I thought I’d captured the middle-leg-waving ‘you’re pissing me off so I’ll sting you if you come any closer’ behaviour but I totally missed it even with the camera on continuous shooting mode.However, on downloading the photos I noticed the Louse on the Bee’s shoulder. Scaled up it would be the size of a Guinea Pig, or something, similar on a person – not the sort of parasite I’d fancy carrying around all day.
Where to next? National Marine Week draws ever closer.
In the meantime let us know what’s hanging off your nuts in your outback.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Must be a pretty hungry magpie, surely there are easier meals to be had - or maybe there isn't.

PS i'll check my nuts more often, after reading this post.

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Hi Warren - no food in feeder this morning and no magpies knockin about. So it looks like they find it easy pickings. There were about a dozen trying to get on it yesterday - the pics are of at least two different individuals. They spill alot as they crash into the feeder and their mates get the easy booty.

Cheers

D