Sunday, 16 February 2014

Well that put paid to gulling

The Safari's hopes of some gulling died the death today. We more accurately we got in the Land Rover to go and didn't - the battery was flatter than a steam rollered PV cell. So in to the garage we went for the battery charger and a long extension flex.
Nothing to do but to have a change of tack and saw some wood instead. It was pleasant in the garden listening to Woodpigeons singing in the distance and this Goldfinch singing in the big Sycamore tree while his chums raided the feeders.
We are relieved this tree is still here, all around us is tree carnage, not from fallen trees from the storm but more from the fear that garden trees might fall so they're being horrendously hacked or removed altogether. The sound of chainsaws, both petrol and electric, was scary. There won't be a tree left before too long. Our Silver Birch is barely stable not sure if it is holding its post up or the post is just about doing its job but both are still standing.
We were cutting our wood when another disaster happened, the blade on the bow saw snapped - talk about nothing going right!
Having said that there was no news of the possible Thayer's Gull, no news of the Iceland Gull at the nature reserve and BD told us he was hot on the trail of a full summer plumage Mediterranean Gull in the park, always good to see the best bird in the book but we couldn't go and check it out.
Frank wanted to go out so we took him up the hill where we passed the flowering Cowslips, if that's what they are exactly, ours are still dormant. 
 The same garden has some lovely mosses growing on the wall right by the path at shoulder height.

All today's pics except the Goldfinch are from the phone-cam.
We were happy to be out even if only tottering slowly to Magpie Wood - Frank's furthest jaunt these days. You don't have to go to a nature reserve to get a daily fix of nature, we'd seen loads already and we'd only got 50 yards so far. Dunnocks, Robins a Blackbird and a Song Thrush were singing even though it was mid-afternoon; not the typical time for birdsong.
Frank skirted round Magpie wood and demanded to be taken on a full Patch 1 walk in to the park - trouble is would he be able to get back home.
It was pleasant enough but not too warm for him so we risked it. Nice in there it was too. Honeysuckle was on its way into leaf.
In the park Magpies squawked and a Mistle Thrush was singing but other than that birdwise it was quiet, not small children quiet though. A gaggle of youngsters was having a great time without the need to wreck any of the trees shrubs or plants which makes a refreshing change. Why is it the kids you do see out in the wilds are tthe ones who really shouldn't be allowed outside and the ones who'd benefit from it most don't seem to be allowed outside, possibly because the antics of the former. 
A couple of the trees at the bottom of the hill are beautifully covered in Lichens, adjacent but almost completely different. 
This was half way and Frank was now pooped and kept lying down refusing to budge as much as another inch. Every so often something would peek his interest and he'd stop chewing his stick
The walk back was a slow affair but near the Honeysuckle we spotted a cluster of Cow Parsley breaking through.
At yet another stop we spotted a Daisy, the phone-cam can't deal with the exposure unfortunately, but spring looks like it's trying its best to get a head start.
A lengthy 500 yards retracing our steps followed. Turning in to our little street we saw Wifey had returned from her duties and using the jump leads it took only minutes to get the Land Rover back in to action - dohhh.
Where to next? Back to Patch 2 in the morning, a battery charging drive down the Prom where the sea looked as calm as glass...hope it's like that in the morning.
In the meantime let us know how far you didn't get in your outback.

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

It's all starting to happening out there now davyman, an exciting time!