Wednesday 23 July 2008

Weekend butterfly and dragonfly event at Woodland Gardens

This coming Sunday the Rangers are giving a guided walk around Woodland Gardens to look for Dragonflies and Butterflies.


Meet at the arched main entrance to the gardens, at the start of the road leading down to the zoo, at 1.00pm. The safari might join you there but I'm 'going bush' to the Tatra Mountains of Poland early the following morning so might have to give it a miss unfortunately. Wolves, bears, boar and lynx here I come.....in my dreams....!
These chaps were photographed at the Highland Wildlife Park in Speyside a few years ago. I'd like to think I was going to get this close to the real thing...a howl in the night or even footprints on the forest floor will do me.


In the meantime enjoy these sunset shots from Warbreck Hill the other day. I was lucky to snap these as the show didn't last more than 5 minutes before the colours disappeared. I was reminded of a sunset last summer when I was on the prom looking for the Bispham Mediterranean Gull. As the sun was going down, quite spectacularly, a large group of people of all ages had gathered on the cliff top to eat their fish and chips. Once the last fraction of the glowing sun had disappeared below the horizon and with the sky still full of colour and girl of about 13 or 14 started to clap; almost as one the rest of the hundred or so people who had been drawn to the cliff top by the sunset stood up and clapped with her. A very moving experience.

This sunset was nowhere near as vivid as that one but very welcome after so long with grey skies.

Keep looking and let us know what you have found in your 'outback'.

No comments: