Friday 18 July 2008

Well - did I get lucky?

What do you think?

No, of course. Those little white rumped beasties are proving to be my bogey bird. Not a Storm Petrel in sight. But oh yes they've got me surrounded, being seen all along the local coast from Rossall in the north to Southport in the south; that one obviously wanting to get blown inland and watch a bit of golf.

This lunchtime I ignored my butties and had forgotten my coat and stood for a little over 35 minutes in the freezing cold watching the rain storm getting closer all the time. Other than cold and hungry I got about 100 Dunlins going past in about 5 flocks, 13 Sandwich Terns including a well marked juvenile. There must have been a shoal of fish around the low water mark as these were diving in a loose flock. I didn't see any come up carrying a fish though. A Common Tern was a bonus. That was it apart from a couple of very young Herring Gulls practicing their flying skills on the updraught from the sea wall and 3 Oystercatchers, not a sniff of the intended quarry.

Where to next? See you at the Stanley Park Bat night tomorrow 9.30pm at the visitor centre.

In the meantime let us know what you've seen in your 'outback'. I have got my fingers 'crossed' for some interesting news from the Isle of Man.


No comments: