Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Base Camp bizarreness

The Safari can report from Patch 1 the almost interesting news that a few Robins were noted, one of which was seen and another was singing, both in the light from the street lamps.
No Patch 2 early doors safari as we had to wait in for the fire fitting man who was battling his way through the, becoming nonsensical, traffic.
It was at that time the bizarreness happened. Our fire fitting man turned up and as we left Base Camp we trod on something that went crunch. Bending down to investigate we discovered we’d just trodden on a live, or at least only recently deceased, Rayed Trough Shell which had been dropped by a gull that must have carried it a minimum of 1385 metres (1515 yards/0.86 miles) as that is how far from the beach Base Camp is.
Probably a bit far gone to take it back to the beach and release it back into its natural habitat.

Not sure which would be the most bizarre tick, yesterday’s Red Throated Diver desk tick or this morning’s Base Camp tick; Frank’s real Arachnida Tick turned out to be not so real at all, rather a dark raised pimply spot when he visited the vet last night for his annual doggy MOT...really do need to go to Specsavers! (Other opticians are...)
At lunchtime the tide was only a few minutes past full. The breeze was cold but the bright sunshine made life tolerable; unlike the wildlife – or should we say lack of it!
A handful of gulls were asleep bobbing on the wavelets and a flock of seven, six males and one female, Common Scoters were a little further out. It was a good while before we spotted our first Cormorant and even longer to the second! Only a single Red Throated Diver was found on the sea but we did have one in flight coming in from the horizon.
It was at the horizon the interest was...not wildlife but a very fast boat. It was kind of hazy out there but we could see the spray from the bow as this smallish boat thrashed along at speed. It looked like it was towing three water skiers behind it – it wasn’t, not sure what they were but certainly not skiers; far too big, far too choppy and far to cold!!! Some kind of military ship perhaps or coastguard/fisheries cutter although what they would be doing towing a whatever-it-was is anyone’s guess. Every so often it would put up small flocks of Common Scoters and it flushed a single Red Throated Diver too.

As it was running parallel to the shore we didn’t hang around to find out where it was going to.
Where to next? Still hoping that a certain gull and Firecrests will stay put until the weekend.
In the meantime let us know what the bizarrest find in your outback has been.


Neil Spiers said...

Hi fella, just wondering.. I live in Blackpool aswell and wondered where abouts you are when looking at Common Scoters and Red Throated Divers? If on the promenade which end you at? Plus you using a scope of binoculars?


Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Hi Neil - spotted your new blog through Bird Forum yesterday before the footy match; will link it tonight.
I usually watch from the Mirror Ball but Starr Gate is probably a little better, I only ever take my scope (lives in the draw at work) but at high tide bins can be useful too.
North Shore cliffs and Princes Prom at Little Bispham can be good too.


Neil Spiers said...

Thanks Dave I appreciate that. A scope you say.. god photography is costing me alot never mind having to by a scope or new set of binoculars hahahaha.

I'll link you as we speak my good man.

Thanks again.