Friday, 16 September 2011

Last day in Welsh Wales

The Safari has just about come to the end of the Welsh sojourn. Today started dry but omminously cloudy.

We had an hour down by the river watching for non-existant Salmon, the fisherman we've met a couple of times was having no joy either. Three Goosanders flew up river and a couple of Grey Wagtails flitted around the rocks. other than the local Robins the wood s were pretty quiet...then the deluge began.

The village (Ganllwyd) show is on tomorrow and for most of the rain soaked day a team were getting the field ready for the event of the year.

There are a small number of A4 laminated sheets advertsing the show with all the exciting things for us to enjoy. Unfortunately it's all in Welsh and all we can read is cakes, jam and sheep, but there is much much more; well as much more as can fit in four small marquees and a bit of field, we're assuming the 'normal' farm sheep aren't cbeing judged - unless they sneak under the temporary fence.

Sadly we won't be able to enjoy what's on offer as we'll hve set off before kick off.

The tiny garden gave us a Nuthatch in the biggest bush in the corner which was good, but only the usual House Sparrows and a Blue and Great Tits with plenty of Swallows hawking over the sheep field, they're going nowhere in this weather.

Somewhere in the rain a Buzzard called from the woods up the hill and then from nowhere the chilp, chilp chilp of some Crossbills wsas heard from the sitting room, we dashed out side but didn't see them.

A great relaxing break away from it all but perhaps the wrong week with all the once in a lifetime goings on back on the Fylde coast.

Where to next? Back to Base Camp and staight to the coast after unpacking weird to have mobile phone reception we chaven't missed it at all...

In the meantime let us know what the mobile reception's like in your outback.


cliff said...

Hope you had a good break, you missed some sitting ducks back here Dave.

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot the "H"