Saturday, 22 October 2011

Floodgates stayed firmly shut

The Safari was up 'n' at em well before dawn but with a stiff south-easterly blowing our hoped for hour on the coast after the tide was kicked in to touch. Instead we opted to watch the dawn from the garden.
The first gulls were illuminated from below by the streetlamps and from above by the crescent moon and Betelgeuse. before many minutes had passed Betelgeuse and the other stars were lost to the first hints of pastel blue beckoning the start of the new day.
A couple of Blackbirds swooshed about in the half light and a Robin twittered from some still dark undergrowth.
Starlings began to appear from their roost on the pier at 07.45, at first just small flocks but increasing in size to one of over 200 birds on the stroke of 08.00 counted was 470+. whilst keeping an eye out for the Starlings nine Redwings flew south, closely followed by an unidentified distant finchy-type thingy, result - things were on the move.
In the garden the first birds to rise was Blue Tit, followed by a Great Tit and then the Coal Tit. First onto the feeders for their breakfast were three Blue Tits.
After 08.00 we had only another 16 Starlings. Three unidentified thingies went over southwards, the last one called but we couldn't hear it properly as a noisy motorbike was going down the hill at the most importune moment.
A Mistle Thrush going over calling could have been a local bird and a Greenfinch likewise could have been a local.
It wasn't until 08.27 that our Goldfinches turned up - lazy stay-a-beds, then almost immediately the two, now regular, female Chaffinches appeared.
By 08.30 with little now happening and getting cold, bad hand was bluer than the sky by this time, we called it a day, or at least a morning...probably a good move as the low cloud disappeared with the sun leaving glorious blue sky. The wind had increased too so the chance of any vis was probably over.
A look at what PM and SE had been upto this morning made us realise that once again the birds were skirting round Base Camp, would have been chuffed with 1/10 of the numbers of Redwings and Chaffinches. Going to have to seriously think about giving that other location we decided last week might be good a go, perhaps tomorrow, or maybe Monday - both???
By lunchtime the sun had warmed a Red Admiral up enough for it to be battered round the garden in the 'breeze'.
Where to next? Have to see if we're allowed a trip to the new vi-migging location.
In the meantime let us know what's being battered by the wind in your outback.

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

There weren't any winter thrushes here at all today Davo, so you did better than me!